- 1/2 cup green gram whole
- 1 tbsp. ghee
- 1/4 tsp. cumin & mustard seeds
- 2-3 pinches asafoetida
- 3/4 tsp. chilli powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
- 1/4 tsp. dhania (coriander seed) powder
- 3-4 pinches citric acid or lemon to taste
- Salt to taste
- Pressure cook gram to 4-5 whistles.
- Drain and keep aside.
- Save the nutritious water for stock or above recipe.
- Heat ghee in a heavy pan, add seeds, allow to splutter.
- Add asafoetida, chillies and 1/4 cup water.
- Add moong and all other ingredients.
- Allow to simmer for 3-4 minutes, covered.
- Serve hot with chapati, paratha or rice.
Making time: 10 minutes (excluding pressure cooking time)
Makes: 3 servings
Shelflife: Best fresh, but can be refrigerated and reused.