100 gms. dried mango pieces (amchoor)
50 gms. dried dates deseeded (khajoor)
50 gms. raisins
100 gms. sugar
1 tsp. each cumin & mustard seeds
1 tsp. red chilli powder
1 tsp. coriander seed powder
1/4 tsp. turmeric powder
1/8 tsp. asafoetida powder
Salt to taste
1 tbsp. fresh curds
1 cup water
1 tbsp. oil
- Wash amchoor thoroughly.
- Pressure cook amchoor and khajoor with plenty of water (approx..3 whistles) till tender.
- Drain in colander, mash coarsely by hand.
- Boil raisins in a little water till plump.
- Drain, keep aside.
- Add curds, mix well.
- Boil sugar and water in a vessel till syrup is sticky between fingers.
- Crush mustard and cumin seeds together, coarsely.
- Add raisins, crushed seeds, dry masalas except asafoetida, salt, to amchoor.
- Add slightly cooled syrup to amchoor, mix very well.
- Check taste, add more sugar or spices as necessary.
- Heat oil in a small saucepan, add asafoetida and pour over amchoor.
- Stir with spatula and blend well.
- Cool completely before pouring in airtight jars.
- Refrigerate when not required.
- Serve with any dish as a chutney or as a topper for breads, chappatis, etc.
Making time: 20 mintues (excluding pressurecooking time)
Makes: 3 cups amchoor