Mogar -Skinned Split Gram ki Sabzi
- 1 cup yellow dal (split skinned green gram)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 tsp. red chilli powder
- 1/2 tsp. dhania powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric powder Salt to taste
- 1/4 tsp. each mustard and cumin seeds
- 2-3 pinches asafoetida
- 1/2 lemon juice extracted
- 2-3 pinches garam masala
- 1 tsp. coriander leaves finely chopped (optional)
- 3/4 cup water
- Wash and soak dal in some water for 2 hours.
- Mix chilli, dhania, turmeric, salt in 2 tbsp. water.
- Heat oil in a heavy pan, add seeds, allow to splutter.
- Add asafoetida and masala water.
- Stir and cook for a minute.
- Add drained dal, water, and cover.
- Cook for 7-8 minutes or till dal is soft to press but not mushy.
- Stir gently intermittently, not breaking dal.
- Add lemon juice, garam masala and mix.
- Allow most of water to evaporate once cooked.
- Garnish with coriander if desired.
- Serve hot with chapati, bhakari, etc.
Making time: 20 (excluding soaking time)
Makes: 4 servings
Shelflife: Best fresh but can be refrigerated and reused.