Chapter : 5 – Food of the Earth Tests of Heaven
Add a pinch of salt to burnt milk while it is still hot. This will remove the scorched taste.
Spongy Cheese Balls in Syrup
2 quarts milk 4 cups water
Juice of 1 lemon ½ tsp rose essence
2 cups sugar
- Bring milk to a boil, lower heat and add lemon juice top curdle the milk. Milk should separate into cheese and whey. If not, add the juice of another ½ lemon.
- Collect whey (the liquid can be used in soups) and tie cheese in a cheese cloth. Keep tied for 6 to 8 hours until all the liquid has drained out.
- When mixture is completely dry, knead cheese until it is very smooth (about 5-7 minutes). Form into 18-20 balls.
- In large pot, boil sugar and water. Turn down heat and simmer.
- Add balls to this syrup and continue simmering for 30 minutes. Do not cover.
- Turn off Heat. Add rose essence and chill. Best made the day before.
If syrup is left over use it as a base for lemonade or other drinks.
1 quart vanilla ice cream
1 cup nectarine segments (cut into pieces)
- With a knife slice rasgullas into halves. Stuff each half with pieces of nectarine.
- Arrange stuffed rasgullas halves in shallow glass bowl.
- Whip vanilla ice cream. Pour whipped ice cream over rasgullas in the bowl.
- Arrange the remaining pieces of nectarine on ice cream.
- Cover the bowl; with plaits wrap and put it in freer for 24 hours.
- Serve in individual bowls. (This dessert can be set in individual bowls.)
Variation: Instead of Nectarine, stuff the rasgulla halves with chopped nuts and grated chocolate. Garnish the ice cream with grated chocolate.
½ cup water 1 quart vanilla ice cream
1 tsp instant coffee 2 Tblsp grated chocolate
38 ginger cookies 3 Tblsp chopped walnuts (opt.)
6 Tblsp drinking 1 Tblsp instant coffee
chocolate powder 1 ½ Tblsp corn flour
2 Tblsp cocoa powder 2 cups cold milk
- Mix all ingredients for sauce thoroughly in pan. On low heat, cook until mixture thickens, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
- In a small bowl, mix water and coffee. Dip cookies in this mixture, one at a time.
- In a round glass dish, arrange a layer of dipped cookies.
- Pour a layer of chocolate sauce over cookies to cover thinly.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 until all the cookies and sauce has been used.
- Beat ice cream and pour over prepared dish. Decorate with grated chocolate and walnuts.
- Place in freezer 5-6 hours or until set.
- Slice Chic-Choc Delite and serve.
Date and Rice Krispy Crunchies
3 Tblsp butter 2 cups Rice Krispies
4 Tblsp sugar ½ tsp vanilla essence
3 Tblsp milk 6 Tblsp carob powder
1 ½ cups (6 oz.) pitted dates 3 Tblsp desiccated coconut
- Mix butter, Sugar, milk and dates in large saucepan and cook over low heat for 10 minutes. Stir well.
- Remove from heat and add Rice Krispies, vanilla essence and carob powder. Mix thoroughly.
- Press mixture into a baking tray and sprinkle coconut over top. Allow to set hard.
- When set and cool into diamond shapes.
Yields 10 to 12 pieces.
½ cup shortening 1 tsp vanilla essence
½ cup granulated sugar ½ tsp salt
¼ cup milk ½ tsp baking soda
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour 1 cup (6 oz.) semi-sweet
(or ½ cup all-purpose + chocolate chips
½ cup whole wheat flour) 1 cup chopped nuts
- Cream shortening, sugar, milk and vanilla together till light and fluffy.
- Sift together flour, salt, banking soda. Stir into creamed mixture and mix well. Add chocolate and nuts.
- Drop by spoonful, 2 inches apart, onto a greased cookie sheet.
- Bake in moderate oven 3750F for 10-12 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet immediately.
Yields 12-14 chippers
12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate morsels
14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
8 ½ ounces chocolate wafers, finely crushed
1 cup chopped walnuts
- Place the chocolate in double boiler and melt it stirring constantly until smooth.
- Add condensed milk, crushed chocolate wafers and half a cup of walnuts. Stir well to mix thoroughly.
- Pour the fudge mixture into a non-stick 8-inch square pan and press fudge until even.
- Press the remaining half cup of walnuts on top of fudge brownies.
- Let stand at room temperature until firm. Cut into 2-inch squares
Yields 16 pieces