Chapter : 4 – Stuffed Bread with Dal Filling
Stuffed Bread with Dal Filling
(Mung dal kachori)
1. Heat 2 Tblsp of oil in a pan. Add 1 tsp mustard seeds. Add washed dal. Add 1 1 cups of water and salt. Allow to cook till the dal becomes tender and the water is absorbed (about 25 minutes). Remove from heat and set aside.
2. Heat the remaining 3 Tblsp of oil in a pan. Add cooked dal (from step 1) and keep stirring till dal becomes dry and of golden color. Remove from heat and let it cool. Add all the other ingredients and mix well.
3. In a bowl, mix the flour with melted ghee and salt. Make dough by adding water and knead well. Form balls the size of lemons and roll out into rounds 3 inches in diameter. Fill them with 1 Tblsp filling. Turn into kachori shape by pulling up the edges to form a pouch with the filling inside. Pinch the puch opening together to seal.
4. Preheat the oil and deep fry 4-5 pouches in vegetable shortening on medium heat. Do the same with the rest of the kachoris. Serve with date sauce.
Yields 15-18 kachoris
Baked Vegetable-Dal Cake
(Handavo 1 No. 1)
1. In a mixing bowl put the cream of wheat, chick-pea flour, rice and wheat flour. Add oil,. Yogurt, water, soda bicarbonate and salt and mix well. The batter should be like a pancake batter consistency. Leave the batter for 12 to 14 hours for fermentation.
2. Add sugar,. Chilli, ginger,. Coriander leaves, peas, potato and zucchini to the batter and mix well.
3. In an ovenproof pan, heat oil. Add mustard seeds and sesame seeds. As soon as the mustard seeds start popping, add the hing and the batter to the oil mixture. Mix well.
4. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 3000 for about 1 hour. It is done if inserted knife comes out clean and top of cake is brown and crispy. Cut into squares and serve with coconut chutney and date sauce.
Baked Vegetable-Dal Cake
(Handavo 1 No. 2)
1. In a food mill dry ground the rice and all the dals.
2. In a large mixing bowl, place the ground rice and dal. Mix buttermilk and salt. Let stand overnight to ferment.
3. Mix rice and ground dal batter,. Chilli-ginger aster, vegetables, Soda bicarbonate,. And turmeric.
4. In an ovenproof pan, heat 1 cup of cooking oil. Add mustard seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves, hing and fermented batter. Mix and remove from the heat .
5. Bake in a pre-heated 3000F oven for 45 minutes or until the top turns brown. (Insert a knife in the center of cake, when it comes out clean, it is done).
6. Serve with chutney.
Chick-Pea Flour Rolls
1. Mix chick-pea flour, buttermilk, red chilli powder, turmeric, hing and salt in a heavy saucepan. Place pan on medium heat,. Stirring constantly, for about 30 to 45 minutes. When mixture becomes thick, try spreading one spoonful on a plate, when it can be lifted and rolled it is ready.
2. Spread the mixture very thinly with the help of a spoon on a plain metal surface. When cool, Apply very little oil on your fingers and roll the mixture as tightly as possible.
3. Cut the roll into small pieces and arrange on a platter.
4. Sprinkle grated coconut and coriander leaves.