Bitter Melon (Karela nu shak)
Chapter-3 : Bitter Melon (Karela nu shak)
- Rub the salt over the sliced bitter melon. Mix well. Set aside for 30
- Taking a handful of bitter melon at a time, squeeze out the water imparted by salt (which makes the vegetable bitter) between the palms of your hands.
- In a saucepan with a lid, heat the oil.
- Add the spices, raisins and cashew nuts. Fry over low heat for a few minutes. Add the bitter melon. Mix well. Cover the pan and cook on low heat until bitter melon is done and all the moisture is absorbed (about 25 to 30 minutes).
- Taste the bitter melon and if still too bitter, add the brown sugar and stir well. Cook for a few more minutes.
Spinach with Yogurt
- Wash the spinach thoroughly and allow the water to drain.
- Place the spinach, including the stems, in a pot. Add the water and let the spinach cook for some time till the leaves are soft.
- In a blender, grind the cooked (cool) spinach to a fine paste.
- Put the spinach paste in a serving bowl. Add the yogurt, sugar and salt. Mix thoroughly.
- In a small pot, heat the ghee. Add the mustard seeds and allow it to pop. When the popping stops, laded the ginger and chillies (optional) and saute for 2 minutes. Pour this spiced ghee into the bowl with the spinach mixture, and once again, stir well.
Serving suggestion: Serve with puris or pariahs.
-a great delicacy-
- Wash snowpeas and remove strings and cut into half.
- In a pan or skillet, heat the oil. Add the hing and cook for 20 seconds.
- Add the snowpeas. Mix well.
- Add the remaining spices. Mix well. Cover and cook over low heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes and cook for another three minutes.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves and serve.
Spiced Dried Potatoes
- Prepare the potatoes and set them aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the udad dal and cook about 30 seconds.
- Add the hing, ginger,. Chillies and curry leaves, turmeric and salt. Cook, stirring stirring constantly, about 30 seconds. Add the potatoes and stir gently until they are coated with spices. Turn carefully so as not to break up the potatoes pieces.
- Sprinkle with lemon juice and half the coriander leaves. Toss gently to mix. Serve sprinkled with more fresh coriander.
(Ringana nu bhartu)
1 or more eggplants weighing 2 pounds in all
2 small boiled potatoes
2 medium tomatoes, washed, stemmed and coarsely chopped
1 small green peper, chopped fine
1 Tblsp minced ginger root
1 fresh green chilli chopped (optional)
2 Tblsp oil
1/8 tsp hing
4 tsp ground coriander-cumin
1 tsp paprika
Salt to taste
3 Tblsp finely chopped fresh coriander leaves