Thus Jainism comprises right faith, right
knowledge, and right conduct. It is manifest as nonpossession,
nonabsolutism, and nonviolence. Through faith one discerns the nature of
body and soul, and this awareness produces an attitude of detachment and
nonpossession. Right knowledge frees one from absolutism and enables one
to see things with a liberal and open mind, The discovery of the oneness
of all living beings leads to nonviolent conduct. The centrality of
Ahimsa to Jaina ethics makes it truly global, its practitioners are world
Its message of good will
is for the whole of humanity :
May all people thrive in happiness. May the
ruler be of religious bent of mind. May there be timely rains. Let all
diseases disappear. Let there be no famine, theft or epidemic in this
world even for a moment. May this wheel of religion (Dharma-cakra) move
ever and anon, and bring about universal happiness and peace.
1. S. Radhakrishnaa, Indian Philosophy,
Vol. 1 (London: George Allen and Unwin,
2. J. P. Jain, Relgion and Culture of
the Jains (Delhi: Bhartiya Jnanpith, 1977) 168.
3. P. S. Jain, The Jaina Path of
Purification (Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1979), 90
4. Tatvaartha Sutra, 1.4, Sukhalal
Sanghavi, ed, 2d, ed, (Varanasi:Motilal Banarsidass,
5. Sarvadarsanasmgraha (Poona: Oriental
Institute, 1951), 80
6. Uttaradhyananasutra, chap. 20, Gatha
37) Muni Nathamal, ed., in Jaina Sutras, pt. ii.
Sacred Book of the East, vol. 45, H.
Jacobi, trans. (New York: Dover, 1968), 104.
7. H. Glasenapp, The Doctrine of Karma
in Jain philosophy, Eng. tr. (Bombay: Jivanlal
Pannalal Charity Fund, 1942)
8. K. C. Sogani Ethical Doctrines in
Jainism (Sholapur: Jain Samskriti Samrakshaka
Sangha. 1967), 74.
9. Kalghatgi, Jaina View of life (Sholapur,
10. Bhargava, Jaina Ethics (Delhi: Motilal
Banarsidas, 1968), 26.
11. Sukhalal Sanghvi ed., Tattvarthasutra
(Benares: Parshavanath Jain Vidyashram,
1952), ch. 1, vs. 1.
12. J. P, Jain, Religion, 32.
13. H. S. Bhattacharya, Jain Moral
Doctrine (Bombay: Jain Sahitya Vikas Mandala,
14. T. K. Tukol Compendium of Jainism (Dharwad:
Karnatak University, 1980), 254.
15. K. K. Handiqui, Yasastilaka and Indian
Culture (Sholapur: Jivaraja Granthamala,
16. D. D. Malvania, Agama Yuga Ka Jaina
Darsana (Agra: Sanmati Jnanpith, 1966), 129.
17. Satkari Mookerjee, The Jaina
philosophy of Non-Absolutism, 2d ed. (Delhi: Motilal
Banarsidass, 1978) and N. Tatia, Studies in
Jaina philosophy (Varannsi: Jain Cultural
Research Society, 1951).
18. Walter Schubring, The Doctrine of the
Jainas (Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1978), 297.
19. Ayaro, Eng. tr., Yuvacarya Mahaprajna,
ed. (New Delhi: Today and Tomorrow, 1981).
20. H. C. Bharill, Tirthankara Bhagavan
Mahavira (Songad: Kundkund Trust, 1981,) 21.
21. D. S. Kothari, Some Thoughts on
Science and Religion (Delhi: R. K. Jain Charitable
Trust, 1977), 31.
22. P. S. Jain �Prakrit Katha-Sahitya men
Ahimsa ka Drstikona� in Amar-Bharati
(Rajgrahi: Virayatana, 1981 ).
23. V. A. Sammgave, Jaina Community: A
Social Survey, 2d. ed. (Bombay: Popular
Prakashan, 1980), 214, 215,
24. K. C. Jain Buddha Aur Jaina Agamon
`Men Naree-Jivana (Varanasi & Parshvanath
Jain Vidyashram, 1967), 9.
25. Suyagado, second canon, 1.9.27.
26. Dharma-Pariksa, 17: 31-33.
27. Sagarmal Jain, Jaina Bauddha Aur Gita
ka Samaja-Darsana (Jaipur: Prakrit Bharti
Sansthan, 1982), 98.
28. S. L. Mandawat, �Jainism in Economic
Perspective: in Mahavira and His relevance in
Modern Times, N. Bhanawat and P. S.Jain.
eds. (Bikaner: S.J. Sangha, 1976), 172.
29. V. P. Kothari, The Law of Non-Violence
and Its Relevance for all Times (Sholapur:
Jain Sanskrit Samrakshakasangha, 1975),
30. Handiqui, Yasastilakas, 317.
31. P. S. Jain, �Some Earlier Buddhist and
Jaina Legends� presented as a paper at the
First International Conference on
Buddhism and national Culture, New Delhi, 1984.
32. P. S. Jain, �Some Ethics and Human
Welfare: presented as a paper at the God: The
Contemporary Discussion Conference,
Puerto Rico, 1984.
33. O. P. Jain, The Truth lndore, Vira
Nirvana Granth Prakashan, 1977), 74.
34. Handiqui, Yasastilikas, 262.
35. Robert Lewanski, �The Scientific Basis
of Vegetarianism� in Vegetarian Voice,
vol, 11. no. 2: 5.
36. K. P. Jain Ahimsa: Right Solution of
World Problems (Aliganj: World Jain Mission,